Sunday, January 3, 2010

Forty 2


On this day in 1968 a man and a woman made a
promise before God to love, cherish and honor
each other.

From January 3rd 1968 forward they promised
to love each other for better or worse, for richer,
for poorer, in sickness and in health, 'till death do
they part.

Im proud to say those 2 were my parents.

They certainly had better days than others, and
some years they were richer than others and
they always took care of each other anytime the
other needed them to.

And the only way they were separated was through
death.

Sadly, my mom passed away the day before their
28th wedding anniversary. And we laid her to rest
the day after.

Today I was thinking, boy, what a wonderful day
it would have been if momma and daddy were
celebrating their 42nd wedding anniversary!

And as I day dreamed of things that could have been
on this date it got me to thinking about the
present day and how times have changed the
life span of most marriages.

People stayed married so much longer
50 years ago than they ever do now. 42 years today
is a huge achievement! Heck half that number
is amazing!

Im proud to say my parents got it right when
they united 42yrs ago.

And I should know, I was right there with
them from the beginning.

I arrived 9mos and 9 days after my daddy
kissed his bride =]


Larry Armstrong and Georgia Ann Hartzo
United in marriage January 3rd 1968


If anyone wants to comment on what they
think are the determining factors that make marriages
different 50 years ago then than they are now I would
love to read them~


1 comment:

  1. Very good, Lara. My parents were married for over 50 years. People were different then, but so was society.

    ReplyDelete